Monday, July 20, 2009

SPORTS DAY!

What a long day we had on Friday, July 17. It was an event we had long been looking forward to, and it did not disappoint. We started at Stambiso's church (see earlier post) and ended at the soccer field there in Mbonisweni.

The agenda for the day began in the church building. It was the last day that King's Kids were going to perform in a community and what a success it was! At the other communities, their program went well and was enjoyed, but at Stambiso's church, it went a little differently. The whole youth choir and then the men's youth choir at the church blessed us visitors with several songs that were--as always--filled with pure worship and enjoyment. We sang some worship songs together as a "congregation" and then when the King's Kids got up to dance and act, the youth joined them by dancing and laughing along. It was very obvious how encouraging this interaction was to the King's Kids team--their performance was filled with an energy and excitement that we hadn't quite seen yet. It was quite an experience to witness the Holy Spirit moving in and joining together a community of believers--especially a community of believers of such different color, background and experience.

After the program in the church, we gathered around to eat (PAP and veggies of course!). I got to talk for a brief time to the pastor's wife--Tuli--which I always enjoy. She is a quiet, sweet girl who is so hospitable and joyful when we visit their church/home. She is one of the dear people here that I wish I had more time to get to know and love.

Lunch and dishes done, we walked a little ways up to the soccer field in Mbonisweni, which is very close to Mamma Victoria's house (where we have a weekly feeding program). This was an exciting time, as we bused some friends from Kabokweni so that they could compete in netball and soccer against our friends in Mbonisweni. Mbonisweni dominated in netball and men's soccer, but Kabokweni was unbeatable in lady's soccer. I was able to enjoy the mostly-friendly competition while sitting on a hillside surrounded by kids. Well, I say enjoyed but sometimes it was rather painful...there was a group of girls that did my hair for about two hours (a typical thing here) and at times, it was some of the worst pain I've felt in my life. I was surprised that I had hair in my head when it was all over. Mikey, after running errands between communities with John Shaw (a guy on the TTH team), was able to have great conversation and fellowship with John during the game (John is a fellow lover of Kraft Mac n' Cheese and misses it maybe even more than we do! BTW--Donna, we shared a box with him and I don't think I've ever seen so grateful a man!).

We arrived at Stambiso's church around 11 and left the soccer field as the sun went down around 5 so it was a long--though excellent--day. I'm not even sure what we did when we got home, but I think it probably involved activities that required no movement or energy...



Here's a short video I (Mikey) took of Laura blowing bubbles for some of the children!

No comments:

Post a Comment